Sunday, December 23, 2007

Vegan Cinnamon Almond Cookies



I've been stuck in a cookie rut for a while. All I had been making were no-bake cookies, the classic but amazingly yummy chocolate chip cookies, gingersnaps and peanut butter oatmeal cookies. Well and of course the sugar cookies Pine and I made a couple of weeks ago. But, what I had been wanting was a totally new recipe, something I had never made before. Well, about a week ago I made some almond milk and was left with a bunch of almond pulp that I didn't want to just throw out. So...almond cookies came to mind! I found a recipe in Joy of Cooking and modified it just a bit. Here's my version:

Cream together:
1 cup sugar
1 cup earth balance margarine

Add and mix well:
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
1 cup almond pulp (or ground almonds)

Add, mixing with hands:
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour

Chill for a couple of hours, then roll out and cut (I just used a small glass to make circles). Sprinkle with cinnamon and bake 8-10 minutes at 350 degrees. I got almost six dozen 1-2 inch cookies.

They are pretty tasty, and I love the size. They obviously didn't rise (well, no leavener!) so they are fairly flat, but they are so cute and compact. I like 'em!

No comments: