Saturday, November 1, 2008

Sapphire Portal @ Burning Man



My most enjoyable day at Burning Man was spent wandering about with Faun, exploring the deep playa. For a while, we ended up here at the Sapphire Portal (known to me since then as "the blue thing" as I hadn't yet heard its proper name). In Faun's words, it was "an oasis of Peace in a sea of Chaos" and I find that quite fitting. Circular, all blue, with some odd geometrically shaped sculpture fitted with mirrors in the middle, out of which came a somewhat mysterious, yet soothing humming noise. It was quiet, relaxing, peaceful. One could almost forget they were in the middle of a desert with 50,000 other people. We lounged in the shade enjoying the nearness of each other and a respite from the noise of a city that never sleeps. I felt completely peaceful and content luxuriating in the blue with Faun, and would have stayed there all day had we not had need to leave. Of course we left right as a HUGE dust storm started to kick up, and we were still quite far from home!

(Thankfully we found shelter from the storm not too far away, where we tried to wait it out, talking until we decided we really did need to get back, as our water supplies were running low. What an adventure that was! I was quite glad that Faun knew where we were going, as I surely would have gotten lost had I been alone. Visibility was poor at best. Getting back to camp, I heard rumours that it was one of the worst dust storms experienced at Burning Man, and it was making headlines, ha!)

No comments: